Enger Tower stands at an elevation of 531 feet above Lake Superior, providing panoramic views of the Twin Ports. Each of the tower's levels has a lookout that is accessible by stairs. A green beacon mounted on top of the tower can be seen for many miles.
Enger Tower was built as a tribute to businessman and philanthropist, Bert Enger (1864-1931). Enger was a Norwegian immigrant who had found success in Duluth as a furniture seller. At the time of his death, Enger donated a sizable portion of his estate to the city of Duluth. This included the land known as Enger Hill which includes Enger Park.
Ohara Peace Bell is from Duluth's sister city Ohara-Isumi City, Japan. The Bell is located in Enger Park.
An impressive collection of historic railroad equipment that built Minnesota and the USA. The museum is located in downtown Duluth, in the platforms at yard of the original Historic Union Depot, built in 1892.
Lincoln burial car
Albert Woolson: The Last Survivor of the Civil War
On October 10, 1864, Albert Woolson enlisted in the First Minnesota Heavy Artillery, a unit formed in the summer of 1864. He gave his age as 17 and his birth date as February 11, 1847, though records indicate he probably was born in 1849 or 1850. He appears to have added several years to his age to make himself appear older than he actually was. He signed up as a rifleman but served as a drummer and bugler with Company C. His regiment was part of the Army of the Cumberland, assigned to protect a garrison in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
When Albert Woolson died on August 2, 1956, he was the last surviving member of the Union Army, the last surviving member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and the last Civil War veteran.
As we headed to Duluth from Grand Marais we stopped at this impressive lighthouse along Lake Superior.
Shipwrecks from a mighty 1905 November gale prompted this rugged landmark's construction. Completed by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1910, Split Rock Light Station soon became one of Minnesota's best-known landmarks. Restored to its 1920s appearance, the light station offers a glimpse of lighthouse life in this remote and spectacular setting. Split Rock Lighthouse is a National Historic Landmark.
During the 1900s the Steel Company Fleet used Lake Superior to transport their steel and during a storm on November 28, 1905, a third of their ships were damaged. This led to Minnesota asking the government to build a lighthouse. The government appropriated $75,000 for a lighthouse and fog signal in 1907.
what the lighthouse and houses looked like after construction...