Thursday, August 30, 2007

Malagawatch Church

Originally built as a Union Presbyterian Church in 1874,served Gaelic speaking congregation of Malagawatch & River Denys Basin for over a century. The church was moved across the Bras d'Or Lakes to the Highland Village Museum in the fall of 2003.
Marlin, Jan, LaVonne and Christa on inspection tour of the relocated church.
Posted by Picasa


View from Highland Village Museum in Iona on Barramens Strait the Bras d' Or Lake.

Living history museum of Gaelic culture and heritage
Posted by Picasa

Final projects at KOA Cape Breton, NS

Ron and Jo paint the campground fence
Ted & Ron building smoke house for Jason and Micheal, the campground owners.
Posted by Picasa

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Celebrating the BIG 65

It's the Birthday Boy!
Posted by Picasa

Alexander Graham Bell's Home

Baddeck, Nova Scotia
Posted by Picasa

Inside Joan Harris Cruise Pavilion

Mi'kmaq tribe was the first peoples in Cape Breton area
Light Houses of Nova Scotia
Posted by Picasa

Fidheal Mhor a' Cheilidh

Big Ceilidh Fiddle(kay-lee) is in front of Joan Harris Cruise Pavilion in Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. The fiddle weights 8 tons & is 57 ft high. The bow is almost 53 ft long. Nice stop on a rainy day.
Posted by Picasa

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Marconi National Historic Site

This is where the Marconi Exhibit on Table Head can be seen on the edge of Glace Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. The three flags flying are the Italian, Canadian and the Nova Scotia provincial flag. Posted by Picasa

Marconi and the start of Wireless Communications

This is Table Head, Glace Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia where Guglielmo Marconi set up his first successful wireless radio station.

On 15 Dec 1902 Marconi and his assistants successfully broadcast the a single letter "S" from Glace Bay to England and this started the wireless revolution.

It's hard to see his photo but this is one of the banner newspaper headlines that recognized Marconi's feat.

Table Head still stands but the four towers with the inverted pyramid of copper wires connecting the towers and the towers are long gone. All that remains are the cement slabs that supported these 260 foot wooden towers and a Canadian Tourist building/site to commorate the success. We visited this on 31 July 07 - one of our days off. The site is about 50 miles from our campground.
Posted by Picasa